Parental Responsibility is the expression given to those legal rights and responsibilities that a parent has towards a child.
Those with Parental Responsibility have obligations but they also have the opportunity to be involved in major decisions that affect the child.
Who has Parental Responsibility?
- The Mother automatically.
- The Father if he was married to the Mother,
- Since 1.12.03 (in England & Wales) if the Mother and Father jointly registered the child’s birth.
Those seeking Parental responsibility can
- Enter into a Parental Responsibility Agreement with the Mother or
- Apply to the Court for a Parental Responsibility Order.